2005/2006 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 21 v 13 Llandovery
08 October 2005 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 21 - 13 Llandovery

John Kendrick reports:

It looks like being a long, hard season for the Drovers in their battle against relegation from the Principality Premiership. Cardiff, in gaining their first league win of the season, lifted themselves above the West Wales side and in doing so consigned Llandovery to a fifth consecutive defeat.

Neither side were able to sustain constructive rugby for any length of time, preferring to use the boot rather than the hand to make progress. In addition to this a most unsympathetic referee, who dominated the match with the whistle, played little advantage and was frequently inconsistent in his application of the law, had a hand in twenty nine of the thirty four points scored

Two early penalties from Cardiff outside half Chris Anderson were answered by one from his opposite number Tomas Marks until, with half time approaching, the game saw the first try. The one player from both sides who looked to have the skill capable of breaking the defence, Cardiff full back Leon Andrews, collected a loose kick ahead and waltzed through some weak tackling to set up winger Elgan Jones with a corner try. The conversion failed and at half time the home side led by 11 points to 6.

The second period started where the first had left off. A penalty kick took Cardiff deep into the Drovers half. A second penalty and a yellow card for Llandovery number 6 Eifion Gwynne gave Cardiff a line out 5m from the line. From the maul the Cardiff eight drove over and hooker Michael Leaman was credited with the try.

A second try soon followed. This time from a free kick the home side moved the ball along the backs where Man of the Match Leon Andrews cut in on the angle to cross. Both tries remained unconverted and the lead stretched to 21-6 as the game entered its last quarter.

It was now the Drovers' turn to benefit from the referee’s decisions and they set up a series of attacks on the home line. A yellow card for replacement lock Gareth Knight saw Cardiff now reduced to 14 men and from the 5 m lineout Llandovery drove for the line where replacement lock Tom Walker was able to force his way over. Tomas Marks converted but it was too little too late and the game ended without any further addition to the score.

Gareth Davies, head coach at Church Bank was disappointed with the high error count suffered by his side and realised that next week's visit to the capital to take on Glamorgan Wanders and the home game the following week against Bedwas were going to be crucial in their fight for survival.

Team Sheets


Cardiff Llandovery