Carmarthen Quins
2005/2006 Principality Premiership
Quins 13 v 34 Llandovery
24 December 2005 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Carmarthen Quins 13 - 34 Llandovery

Mike Walters reports:

All both sides needed was three Boxing Day league points as the fellow regional feeder clubs struggle to keep pace with the rest of the division. In the end it was a comprehensive win for The Drovers who scored three tries for their first away victory since last April and recorded their first win at The Park in five outings.

The Llandovery front row of Dennis Pugh, Adam Yelland and Andrew Jones gave the platform up front for the Quins pack to go backwards in the scrums, which made life difficult for scrum-half Luke Marsh.

For the Quins it was their 10th defeat in the last 11 league games and with a visit to Swansea on Saturday (kick-off 1pm), they could finish 2005 in deep trouble at the bottom of the Premier League table.

The win moved Llandovery out of the relegation zone while the defeat could bring about the reality next season of another Boxing Day local derby for the Quins in Division One against Whitland or Narberth unless there is a dramatic turnaround in fortunes in 2006.

Fly-halves Craig Evans and Gareth Morgan hugged the touchline to make ground in a forgettable first half for the biggest crowd of the season at The Park. The visitors led 6-3 at the interval with a drop-goal and penalty from Morgan with Evans replying for the Quins with a penalty.

Llandovery prop Dennis Pugh created the only break of the first half with a side stepping run only to see his backs put the ball to ground. No 8 Gareth Bennett crashed over the line only to be held up by centre Emyr Jones and flanker Andrew Thomas.

Wales under 19 fly-half Rhys Priestland was introduced by the Quins after the break and showed his huge potential with some neat touches.

Early in the half Quins prop Robert Jones, on loan from Langharne, was yellow-carded which helped to extend the Llandovery lead to 12-3 after 44 minutes.

It took 62 minutes for the first try to be scored as wily Llandovery scrum-half Rob Walters broke from the side of a ruck to crash over after his forwards had taken play towards the try line in a series of rolling mauls.

Priestland set up a try for Quins centre Darren Simpson on 71 minutes which took the scores to 17-10 in favour of the visitors.

In a flurry of scoring in the last 10 minutes of the game, Evans struck with another penalty but five minutes from time the final nail was well and truly planted by the visitors. Playing catch-up rugby the Quins moved the ball in their own 22 and the result was an interception by man-of-the-match Morgan who scampered over for the final killer blow.

To demonstrate their superiority Llandovery scored a classic wing try in injury time as quick passing gave left wing Ifan Evans the opportunity to show his pace and skills in a confined space as he squeezed in the corner. Morgan converted from near the touchline to complete a faultless display. A late replacement for Tomas Marks, Morgan contributed 24 points.

Team Sheets


Quins Llandovery