2004/2005 WRU National League
Llandovery 22 v 21 Quins
26 April 2005 - Church Bank, Llandovery
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Llandovery 22 - 21 Carmarthen Quins

John Kendrick reports:

The Quins in losing the Tywi Valley derby completed a losing run of three games all by one point. The result was in doubt until the final minutes when outside half Aled Thomas missed a harshly awarded penalty to leave the Drovers' players and supporters very happy with the outcome.

The game turned out to be a contest between the speedier, more inventive Carmarthen backs and the stronger more organised Drovers forwards. Carmarthen were the first to score when following a line out win the ball was recycled and full back Gareth King to the ball at speed to cross for a try. Aled Thomas added the conversion.

With the home back mounting a siege on the Quins line outstanding prop Dorian Williams forced his way over for a try that remained unconverted. Llandovery then found themselves in the lead when following a scrum win against the head outside half Simon Daniel made an initial break to find lock Tom Walker up in support to secure the home side's second try. Daniel converted the try and the Drovers were 12-7 in the lead.

On the stroke of half time the lead once again changed hands. A free kick following a delayed scrum feed saw prop Marc O’Kelly force his way over for a try again converted by Aled Thomas to give the Quins a half time lead by 14 points to 12.

Soon after half time the lead increased when Gareth Williams, following good work by Stuart Jenkins, crossed for Carmarthen’s third try, again converted by Aled Thomas. Back came the Drovers and following a good scrum drive flanker Matthew Jefferies took the ball up to the line where centre Emrys Evans took advantage of the forwards work to pounce for the Drovers' third try in the 69th minute which was converted by Simon Daniel, setting up an exciting finish.

The contrast in the fortunes of the kickers was eventually to settle the game. Although he converted all three tries Aled Thomas was to miss three penalty shots and when Simon Daniel was successful with his first penalty attempt after 73 minutes the Drovers went into a 22-21 lead that they were to hold until the final whistle.

Team Sheets


Llandovery Quins