1999/2000 WRU National League Division 1
Llandovery 47 v 10 Tredegar
29 April 2000 - Church Bank, Llandovery

Match Report

Llandovery 47 - 10 Tredegar

What a terrific end of season display before a keen and enthusiastic crowd on a glorious summer day. The Drovers have undoubtedly saved the best till last, with last week seeing their best away success at Merthyr and this week their best home victory of the season.

A win was vital to make it a mathematical certainty that Division I status would be guaranteed and the home team took to their task immediately from the kick off. Their intent was obvious from the outset and they proceeded with clinical efficiency to build up an unassailable lead. Taking up the same successful pattern of play, with rampaging forward drives off ruck and maul and crisp handling amongst the backs, they pounded the shell-shocked visitors into early submission.

Scrum half Adrian Davies, the team’s top try scorer, started the ball rolling and was soon followed over the try line by centre Gareth Thomas, side-stepping second row Dai Giles and centre Rhodri Davies, the latter being an outstanding effort following a 50-metre run which almost lifted the roof off the stand. The ever improving Peter Lloyd at fly half passed the 200 point mark for the season with three conversions and three penalties to take the rampant home side into the interval 35-3 ahead.

Former Welsh international permit player Mark Ring was the solitary Tredegar scorer, with a straightforward penalty attempt.

Llandovery took their foot off the pedal for the early part of the second half, allowing bulky scrum half Shane Pinch to barge over from close range for Ring to convert. However it was not long before the Drovers rediscovered the continuity rugby with flankers Dafydd Jones, Aled Davies and No 8 Chris Davies appearing everywhere as extra threequarters in support of the midfield runners.

The front row trio of Dorian Williams, Hywel James and captain Andrew Jones once again held the upper hand over their opponents, taking several scrums against the head to establish an excellent platform for countless attacking plays. Dai Giles, making his first appearance for a month after recovering from a potentially serious eye injury, again won excellent lineout ball.

Perhaps the loudest cheer of the day came when replacement lock Nigel Clarke, now in his 42nd year, rounded off a length of the field move to score a super try under the posts.

When Jamie Roberts was felled via a high tackle from Shaun Pinch, the same player followed up with an unnecessary punch and he was instantly shown the red card by firm but fair referee Mark David of Bridgend. Roberts then proceeded to take advantage of the one-man advantage and was on hand to score an overlap corner try.

The final whistle was greeted with tumultuous applause and marked the commencement of nightlong celebration. This was the final league fixture of the season.

Team Sheets


Llandovery Tredegar